Friday, March 18, 2011

My experience with Healthcare

Hello again,
For this post I would like to recount a conversation I had with my mother, a breast cancer survivor, about the healthcare reforms. The reason I would like to retell this story is because I believe it offers some excellent perspective on healthcare and may help people understand some of the objections surrounding the reform.
To begin, I think it might do well to note that my mother is a member of the Republican party, as well as being a supporter of the Tea Party (when it was just emerging, anyway), and does not support the healthcare reform.
This greatly puzzled me, for reasons I will explain.
My mother, a breast cancer survivor, was unable to get affordable health insurance due to her pre-existing condition. So why then would she be opposed to a reform that would provide her with healthcare?
To get the answer I simply asked, and her response was along the lines of "because with the new reforms mammograms will not be available to women until a few years later than they are now, and the government will not provide sufficient services for those with breast cancer."
I nodded and thanked her for the conversation.
I mulled it over and basically came to the conclusion that, on the whole, she believes that the healthcare reform will not provide adequate services for those that are ill, and thus she prefers the way our healthcare is now.
Though I am not sure of the verity of what my mother said, I atleast thought it was a bit revealing about how some people feel about the proposed healthcare reform.
That sums up todays thoughts.
Until Next Time,
Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment